January 2017 Dares (and New Year’s Resolutions)
Wow. Can you believe that it’s 2017? I sure can’t. I mean, I can believe that it’s 2017 … I’m not, like, doubting its existence or anything, but … wow! 2016 was such an amazing year! Almost nothing went wrong. Almost everything went right.
But now we’ve got to move on to a new year. It isn’t 2016 any more. It’s 2017. Again, wow.
Time for a quick recap of what I accomplished in December.
Yeah, I know, I just said we have to move on … but whatever. I’m a girl. Girls aren’t necessarily consistent; it’s a well-known fact.
- Read five books. Check! I think I read something like ten … though I can’t be sure because I’m running late and the internet is bad (SNOWED IN!), so I’m not going to open a new tab and check Goodreads to find out.
- But one of those has to be Ivy Introspective. Check! Read it through twice. So there.
- Finish A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Check! Wow … such a good book … but the content. *sigh* VidAngel for books, guys. Someone’s gotta invent it …
- Read at least two books for enjoyment purposes only. Check!
- Write a reading update post. Failed. However, I chose to fail this one (because I decided not to do reading update posts), so does it really count?
- Outline Interpreting Callie James. Failed. Sorry, but there just wasn’t time. Okay, you’re right; I’m never busy and there was plenty of time.
- Finish writing Flowers. Failed. Uh … I wrote a little more, but …
- Don’t even look at At Her Fingertips. Failed. I think I’m in love with this book. I literally downloaded it to my Kindle and read it for fun … and I wrote it. I am so creepy and narcissistic and … eesh.
- Read through Ivy Introspective, doing some serious revising. Check! Twice, actually. I’m really pleased with the progress I made this last month.
- Get back on schedule. Failed! Uh … I changed the schedule … so … XD
- Host three guests posts. Failed! I only hosted one. But, on the other hand, this was a stupid dare. Pretend it doesn’t exist.
- Thank your 195 followers. Check!
- Get 196 followers. Check! Oh. My. Gosh. You guys are fantastic! But did I see that right?! 224 FOLLOWERS?!?! Wow. *passes out oreos* By the way, if you’re a new follower and I haven’t talked to you … that means I’m not a creepy person who walks up to everyone who (probably accidently) follows her and starts talking to them. Because that would be creepy. XD
For Reveries Reviews:
- Empty the review pile. Kinda. I would have done this, but I added a bunch of books to the review list (which I wasn’t supposed to do), so … yeah. It’s hard to tell …
- Write three reviews a week. Failed. I did for one or two of the weeks … but for the most part, I didn’t. And you know what? That’s okay. I spent time enjoying Christmas and revising IvIn and who needs to read that many reviews? Certainly not the (few) followers of Reveries Reviews!
- Share those reviews here. Failed. Uh … go read them! Check! XD
- Read the Bible every night. Kinda. I read it every month in December except the 30th and the 31st. And that’s Bailey’s fault. *glares at Bailey* You see, my dear reader, Bailey came over on the 30th, we forgot to read the Bible, and she kept me up until 5 o’ clock in the morning!
No, it wasn’t my fault at all …Anyway, I was too exhausted to read the Bible the next night … at midnight … after we were done celebrating (which I barely survived, by the way). XD
- Pray every night. Kinda. I never remember if I did or not in the morning, so … I’m just gonna assume I did.
- Spend some more time with Riley. Kinda. We did hang out a couple times, but he h the worse smell about him just now …
- Spend time with friends. Check! I’m saying ‘check,’ as I definitely spent more time with them in December than in November. There was the band concert, a birthday party, a get-together, and a lot of emailing back and forth (though that doesn’t really count). And then Bailey and I had two sleepovers, which was AMAZING.
Based on my dares, I had a pretty mediocre December, but it was actually amazing. Don’t pay attention to all the red and orange.
Now, on to a bright new future …
- Read twenty books. Whoa! That’s a lot more than I normally shoot for!
- Review all twenty of those books on Goodreads. I’ve started to realize that if I don’t review books immediately after I read them, the review sounds like I didn’t read it at all. However, if I get on Goodreads and do the review as soon as the book is finished, it works for me (and for the author, because they get a better review!).
- Read at least one nonfiction novel. I mean not for school. I mean for the shear joy of reading nonfiction. Because I want to, not because I need to.
Hahaha. Right. That’s gonna happen …
- Read at least one novel of a genre new to you. I’m thinking science fiction or contemporary romance or something. Comment any recommendations!
- Read at least one novel your friends are dying for you to read. Bay, Sarah, S. Isabell, and Claire – thoughts?
- Finish Flowers. Although I don’t know if I’ll be able to. If I don’t at least get Parts 3 and 4 finished, I give y’all permission to shoot me.
- Finish revising Ivy Introspective. I want to move onto another draft by February – an editing draft. This will probably take me a couple months. I want to ask some people to beta-read by April or May at the latest.
- Write at least three more chapters of Beyond Her Calling. I’ve decided against a series of blog posts for the Experiment in Pantsing, but I do want to keep writing the novel, slowly but steadily.
- Put five hours of work into outlining Interpreting Callie James. Telling myself to do something for a certain amount of hours is new to me, but I’m going to try it. With all luck, I’ll actually get some work done.
- Write 500 words of some novel/novella/short story every day. Once you watch the video down there, you’ll understand why (basically, it’s my lame rendition of the 364K race). Yesterday I wrote 639 words. Today … well, let’s just say it’s gonna be a long evening.
- Fix/create pages. I want to put some serious work into the pages of Reveries in this next month. As you can see, I’ve done a little, but I want to do a lot more.
- Get 225 followers. What? I find 224 to be a rather odd number … even though it’s technically an even number …
- Keep to the schedule. I can do this, guys! I really believe it’s the best schedule I’ve ever come up with, and I’m excited to try it out!
- Comment on other peoples’ posts. Yeah … I actually need to dare myself to do this … that’s how pitiful I am at commenting on other peoples’ posts …
- Have fun with it! Because blogging needs to be fun!
- Read three chapters of the Bible every night. My friend Bailey and I are reading through the Bible in a year. I’ve got to read eight chapters tonight to catch up. We’ve already read the first eighteen chapters in Genesis (kinda cheating, but it ain’t a race!), so we have a little bit of an edge, though.
- Practice the guitar/clarinet regularly. As with every other time I’ve set this goal, I don’t actually expect to, but what the hey
- Go sledding. I was sick and/or super busy when the snow was at its best, so I haven’t gotten to sled yet this winter despite the awesome snow! So this is the time to do it now that we have another six inches or so.
- Drive more. We didn’t go anywhere in December – or at least I didn’t – so I didn’t get a lot of driving time in … or at least not as much as I usually do. So I need to drive more in January!
- Exercise. Got to keep up these guns. *flexes arms* *looks pitiful* *cracks up* Yeah, I don’t have any muscles, actually … even my heart is two sizes too small. *subtle Grinch reference*
Well, that’s all my dares for this month. Now, it’s time to move on to some New Year’s Resolutions (which are more like goals, but whatever).
Well? What do you think? Can I turn sixteen!? It’s such a hard goal! I don’t know if I’ll be able to do it!
When I had my friend Bailey over a couple days ago for a sleepover, we did the vlog Q & A! It was a lot of fun. But the videos wouldn’t work. So we had to do it again. XD
Yeah, it was pretty sad … but I think the next batch were better than the first. Although we were definitely sleepier in the second round.
And now, Kellyn and Bailey’s Q&A Vlog, Part 1!
Now comment … or my pet zombies will come for you. *lightning, thunder, etc.*